Outside MA: Illinois

Periodically, I look at states where I have friends and/or family to see how those states are doing with COVID-19 cases. I always take a look at the population size of the state as well so that the comparison I'm making to MA numbers is somewhat valid.

Today, I looked at Illinois.

With roughly twice the populace that MA has, Illinois has creeping up from roughly twice the number of cases that MA has to now around 5 times (not counting the spike yesterday which I imagine is due to them changing a calculation or finding a mistake over the last month or so and rectifying it causing a single-day spike that is likely covering a much longer period of time). This means that they're doing about 2.5 times worse than MA is doing in terms of cases. 

Their deaths have been roughly 2 times worse than MA which puts them on roughly equal footing... though very recently that figure seems to be increasing. 

The relatively shallow look I take at other states is only the reported cases/deaths (not the case/death by date) so it's not the clearer picture I get when I look at the actual figures and such for MA but Illinois looks like it could easily be that they have reached the top of another wave or that they're just plateauing before seeing new cases increase more.

Stay safe. Stay sane. Stay informed. Stay caring about those you don't see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Switching to Wastewater Monitoring Only

MA Wastewater Tracking (23-Jan-2024 data)

Fun with MA COVID-19 Reporting 18-Jun-2020 edition